Here’s a list and map of all main/ famous deserts of Pakistan, including the location, names, and features of Thar/ Nara, Cholistan/ Rohi, Thal, Kharan/ Sandy, and Katpana/ Cold desert.
Name List of Main/ Famous Deserts of Pakistan
A desert is an area of land that receives less than 250 mm of rainfall and doesn’t have any vegetation is called a desert.
There are five main deserts in Pakistan and their names are as follows:
1. Thar/ Nara Desert in Sindh
- Eastern part of lower Indus plain in Sindh
- 15% lie in Pakistan, 85% in India (Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab, Haryana)
- Also adjoins the Cholistan Desert in Punjab
- Thar Desert is the largest desert of Pakistan.
- It is also Asia’s 3rd largest, world’s 9th largest hot subtropical and 20th largest overall desert.
- It’s largely dry and arid.
- Thar Desert is known as ‘Nara’ in Mirpur Khas and ‘Thar’ in Tharparkar region, and ‘Pat’
- It’s also known as ‘Great Indian Desert’
- It’s also known as the ‘Friendly Desert’ as living here is relatively easy (around 30m people live in Thar Desert)
2. Cholistan/ Rohi Desert Punjab
- Cholistan desert (also known as Rohi) is located in the South Eastern part of Upper Indus plain
- It covers the districts of Bahawalpur, Bahawalnager, and Rahim Yar Khan districts in Punjab, and adjoins Thar in Sindh
- Hot & Dry
Features/ Famous for
- Cholistan Desert is famous for hosting Pakistan’s biggest motor sports, Cholistan Desert Jeep Rally
- It’s also famous for the iconic Derawar Fort, at 130 km from Bahawalpur city
3. Thal Desert in Punjab
- Thal Desert is located in the Upper Indus plain in Sind Sagar Doab between Indus & Jehlum/ Chenab rivers.
- It’s in the south of Salt Range and mainly spans the districts of Bhakkar, Mianwali, Layyah, Muzaffargarh, and some parts of Jhang, Sargodha and Khushab in Punjab.
- Hot & Dry
- Most of the Thal desert is suitable for farming
- Hosts the ongoing mega project of Greater Thal Canal
4. Kharan/ Sandy Desert in Balochistan
- Sandy and mountainous
- Kharan Desert was the site at which Pakistan conducted its second nuclear explosion/ test, codenamed Chagai-IIon May 30,
- Alexander the Great passed through the Kharan Desert (Gedrosia) to mimic Cyrus the Great.
5. Katpana/ Cold Desert in Gilgit Baltistan
- Katpata Desert is located in Gilgit-Baltistan near Skardu.
- It spans Skardu, Shigar, and Khaplu, and is easily accessible by Skardu airport.
- Cold Desert
- Biama Nakpo
Features/ Famous For
- At a height of 2,226 metres, it’s one of the world’s highest deserts
- In winters, it’s sometimes covered with snow
Map of Main/ Famous Deserts of Pakistan